It begins...

A friend recently forwarded an email to me titled "The Invisible Mother," a short essay comparing the tireless and often thankless job of a mother to the builders of Europe's great cathedrals. Both give their whole lives for a work they will never see finished, both make sacrifices and expect no credit, and both are fueled in their passion by the faith that the eyes of God see every detail. The writer of the essay was inspired by the thought that our endless efforts in motherhood, invisible as they may seem, are worth it and can make an enriching life.


For many of us, the way we choose to hold our invisibility at bay is by creating something tangible. For me, my days often end with knitting - my love of fiber and the need to do something relaxing end up producing something I can hold and look at. Nobody will know how many times I swept under the high chair that day, or how many toys I picked up, or how many times I tried to coax a "please" or "more" or "sorry" out of my 5 year old. But a darling, handmade infant hat? That you can see.


I start new projects every day, and my 10 year old does the same. In this process of creating (and yes, often not finishing our projects!) we connect with each other and a bigger picture of ourselves in the process. My plan for this blog is to share the projects that excite me and bring some accessible proof of my existence in this invisible world of mothering!


So, this blog is dedicated to the mothers out there whose days are filled with the minutia of tasks that build our children and our families. I often tell people that I haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up. But for now, I am the builder of a great cathedral. With every shoelace tied, lunch packed, and forehead kissed, I build.


And I can hardly wait to create something new...


Monday, February 17, 2014

Love

I love my girls.  I will love them even more when they go back to school tomorrow!  Out of 11 school days so far in February, Brynn has attended 2. Between snow days, teacher professional days, school conferences, and the stomach flu, she has been home 9 of those days. S.t.i.r. C.r.a.z.y.

I have tried to squeeze some fun into our February, and despite a cranky 5-year-old, we have gotten some crafting done. :)



Starting on February 1st, I surprised the girls with a heart on their bedroom door that says "I love you because..." and each day of February I am adding another heart and another reason why I love them.  Brynn is fairly unaware of what's going on, but Rowan thanked me right away and within a couple days I found these on my bedroom door...

Yep, made me cry. Then a few days later Brad was having a tough work day and I mentioned to Rowan that she might want to be extra sweet to her Dad that day.  As soon as she finished her lunch, she made these for his office door...
Yep, he cried.

We kicked our month off right by having my mom come for a long weekend visit, so Grandma got to post some door hearts as well.  Rowan also taught us the technique of Imposto (sp?) painting, which she learned at school.  We picked up some sale canvas at Michael's and got to work. Mom's is my favorite, but she took hers home so I can't share it.  Here's Rowan's and mine:



I also bought myself a set of semi-decent paintbrushes, because I discovered after a night with friends at "Grapes & Paints" in Overland Park, that I totally dig painting!  You bring wine and snacks to share, and the instructor walks you through the steps of painting a sample they have chosen for the night. It was really neat to see how different the paintings were - even with the same color palette and design. Here's how mine turned out - I gotta say - I rocked it, dude.


(You'd think I could hold the camera straight to take a dang picture of it, though! Sheesh.)

But most of my crafting this month has been in the form of knitting 7" x 9" blocks for an afghan my Knotty Knitter group is putting together for Warm Up America. I am on FIRE! I have been pouring over books and designs and having the most fun pulling yarn from my stash to create a serious of individual works of art. It might be more than a little hard to give them away.  It is a walk down a knitted memory lane for me, remembering where the yarn came from.  It feels good to use up the bits of stash that have been sitting dormant in a drawer.

I kicked the project off using leftover yarn from a scarf I made my brother-in-law years ago. I was in the mood to cable, and chose these to start with.
Next, I used leftover wool from one of the first bags I felted about 8 years ago. I remember how much I loved the color, and how tangled and frustrating it was to attempt Intarsia for the first time!  So far, these are two of my favorites blocks. And now I can say that I've knitted a tree.



The next set (and I did these in sets of two so that there would be at least some coordinating colors in the patchwork afghan) uses leftover Malabrigo wool (heaven!) from both my mom's stash and mine.  We made a bunch of striped scarves last winter and ended up with a bag full of little bitty leftovers. Kinda funky, but it will add some pizazz! 


And I will leave it at that for today (I'm such a tease), although there are 8 more blocks to share another day. There's a little person in the next room who is NOT happy I'm within sight but out of reach.  Time to go squeeze a little girl. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun to read all those hearts on everyone's doorway!! Rowan is incredibly insightful about you and Brad! So, SO sweet. I love seeing your knitted blocks and look forward to seeing MORE. I'm having such fun making them as well. I used my imposto painting technique to inspire the boys in my class and they made wonderful Valentine cards for their parents using that style. They loved it. I must write/text Rowan and tell her! Thanks for posting on your blog again. I love it. Oh, and your painting rocks, indeed!

    ReplyDelete