It begins...

A friend recently forwarded an email to me titled "The Invisible Mother," a short essay comparing the tireless and often thankless job of a mother to the builders of Europe's great cathedrals. Both give their whole lives for a work they will never see finished, both make sacrifices and expect no credit, and both are fueled in their passion by the faith that the eyes of God see every detail. The writer of the essay was inspired by the thought that our endless efforts in motherhood, invisible as they may seem, are worth it and can make an enriching life.


For many of us, the way we choose to hold our invisibility at bay is by creating something tangible. For me, my days often end with knitting - my love of fiber and the need to do something relaxing end up producing something I can hold and look at. Nobody will know how many times I swept under the high chair that day, or how many toys I picked up, or how many times I tried to coax a "please" or "more" or "sorry" out of my 5 year old. But a darling, handmade infant hat? That you can see.


I start new projects every day, and my 10 year old does the same. In this process of creating (and yes, often not finishing our projects!) we connect with each other and a bigger picture of ourselves in the process. My plan for this blog is to share the projects that excite me and bring some accessible proof of my existence in this invisible world of mothering!


So, this blog is dedicated to the mothers out there whose days are filled with the minutia of tasks that build our children and our families. I often tell people that I haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up. But for now, I am the builder of a great cathedral. With every shoelace tied, lunch packed, and forehead kissed, I build.


And I can hardly wait to create something new...


Wednesday, October 5, 2011

All A-Flutter

It's done! My lace flutter scarf (started in July?) is finally finished, blocked, and ready to wear. Oh so smashing I will look about town in my grey Eddie Bauer jacket and orange scarf. LOL! 
Ooh la la! I have also finished my linen stitch cowl, and anticipate an oh-so-warm-and-stylish neck in wintry weather.
A flat picture doesn't really do it justice, so here's the cowl worn by a professional model...
And now I find myself...with nothing to knit!! What? I have yarn to make a second cowl, so will most likely cast on for that, but my hands are itching to do a cute ear flap boy hat for a toddler I know who is turning 2 in November. (Raena, pretend you didn't read that.) I keep seeing darling hats wherever I shop - lots of animal faces and ears and braided ear flap ties. Gotta make one. Ravelry, here I come to find a pattern!


October has launched us into full celebration mode. Rowan's birthday is in 3 days, and SHHH, her little surprise party is on Friday! I filled the little treat boxes with all the gold goodies, got the supplies for the decoupage craft, and am ready to fill some Mylar star balloons with helium and adorn the house with gold decorations to surprise her Friday night. Yay!
Tomorrow (after the dreaded chore of dusting and vacuuming) I plan to get out some fall decorations and candles and get it really festive around here. We don't pull out the Halloween stuff until after Rowan's birthday so that there is still something fun to look forward to after her big day. I love all the orange - my fav accent color!


But speaking of Halloween, here's a sneak preview...
Boo!!
Oh, and I think I have a permanent dent in my thumb from all the pepper cutting (see last post) I did this afternoon whilst catching up on Glee episodes. But the peppers are done, and ready to be made into Ristra mobiles. Woo hoo!

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how FUN it is to read all the things you tell about on your blog!! You know I love it all. xox
    PS What a great idea to make an ear-flap hat for that little boy! Gosh, what can "I" make? Maybe I'll send some cash to help select a coat to match it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flutter scarf is SO pretty!!

    ReplyDelete