It begins...

A friend recently forwarded an email to me titled "The Invisible Mother," a short essay comparing the tireless and often thankless job of a mother to the builders of Europe's great cathedrals. Both give their whole lives for a work they will never see finished, both make sacrifices and expect no credit, and both are fueled in their passion by the faith that the eyes of God see every detail. The writer of the essay was inspired by the thought that our endless efforts in motherhood, invisible as they may seem, are worth it and can make an enriching life.


For many of us, the way we choose to hold our invisibility at bay is by creating something tangible. For me, my days often end with knitting - my love of fiber and the need to do something relaxing end up producing something I can hold and look at. Nobody will know how many times I swept under the high chair that day, or how many toys I picked up, or how many times I tried to coax a "please" or "more" or "sorry" out of my 5 year old. But a darling, handmade infant hat? That you can see.


I start new projects every day, and my 10 year old does the same. In this process of creating (and yes, often not finishing our projects!) we connect with each other and a bigger picture of ourselves in the process. My plan for this blog is to share the projects that excite me and bring some accessible proof of my existence in this invisible world of mothering!


So, this blog is dedicated to the mothers out there whose days are filled with the minutia of tasks that build our children and our families. I often tell people that I haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up. But for now, I am the builder of a great cathedral. With every shoelace tied, lunch packed, and forehead kissed, I build.


And I can hardly wait to create something new...


Saturday, April 23, 2011

Eggs N Stuff

'Twas the day before Easter and all through the house - craziness and mayhem!  No, it's not all that bad actually. :) I faced the music at WW (not a pretty song) and then Rowan and I got our haircuts, had lunch, and ran a couple of errands.


With new blocking pins and pearl buttons in hand, I carefully whetted and pinned the front edges and neckline of the lace sweater and am hoping for NO RUST. By morning I can sew on the 2 little buttons, and Rowan can wear her new Easter sweater for Easter. (She wore it a bit this morning too, bless her heart, even without the buttons. "I'm cold, Mommy! This sweater has too many holes!" "It's lace, honey, it's a fashion statement and not meant to be practical." )


While Rowan got her hair cut, I finished knitting the "block" I started - most likely as a dish rag for my Dad. I got it blocked this afternoon as well, and the pattern is now much more obvious. Being wet, the light picks up all the little wrinkles in the picture, but it will be pretty cool when it dries.
In preparation for our little Easter gathering tomorrow, Rowan and I started some "sample" eggs we plan to make with our friends. These "Dye-ving Dudes" can be found on the Family Fun website and I fell in love with them! Ours won't look nearly as perfect as the sample picture, but it will be fun to try them out. I've been saving water bottle caps for a month! So cute!
And although the weather between here and St. Louis didn't allow my brother to fly in for the weekend, we haven't seen any rain yet and are still hoping for a dry, albeit cool, Easter.  I managed to get the 3 Phlox plants in the ground - to add to our ever expanding ground cover near our front walk under the Burning Bush. The soil is pretty rocky and root-laden under there, which about did me in. :P Oh, but my azalea's are bursting with bloom this weekend!
Here's to a Happy Easter, everyone. May the bunny bring you sunshine, good times with family and friends, and plenty of chocolate (so that I won't be the only one pigging out.)

1 comment:

  1. That sweater is just adorable!! Love everything about it. The eggs are super clever. What fun! That swirl dish rag is nifty looking. I might try one! I need some simple knitting for the hospital! Your flowers look great. Your Easter weekend is shaping up just fine, I'd say! :)

    ReplyDelete